- Finding makeup for acne-prone skin can be a challenge.
- We reached out to several dermatologists to get their recommendations.
- They advise looking for makeup with salicylic acid and oil-free formulas.
- It’s also recommended to avoid products with silicones or mica.
- Their product recommendations included brands like Neutrogena, Almay, Clinique, and Hourglass.
Acne-prone skin and makeup don’t always work well together.
Many turn to makeup as a way to conceal their breakouts — and then end up with more than they started with. Foundations can be heavy and pore-clogging, powders can irritate sensitive skin, and concealer can only do so much.
In an effort to help solve this dilemma, we turned to dermatologists for their best tips and tricks when it comes to finding makeup for acne-prone skin. They revealed everything from what ingredients to look for — and avoid — to what brands they’d recommend to their clients.
Most of the dermatologists we spoke to recommended oil-free and non-comedogenic formulas, especially if they contain salicylic acid.
Though salicylic acid can help clear your pores, dermatologist Rebecca Kleinerman recommends avoiding it if you are already taking other topical acne medications.
“Sometimes the combo can over-dry one’s skin and instigate further breakouts,” she told us.
If you’re prone to clogged pores and sensitivity, dermatologists say to stay clear of makeup with silicones and mica.